A sandwich with all the ultimate Thanksgiving leftover fix-ins: turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and anything else from your table! Featuring the Moist Maker, (a term invented by Ross Geller) “an extra slice of gravy soaked bread in the middle.”
That sandwich was the only good thing I had going on in my life. Someone ATE the only good thing going on in my life!
Every holiday season, I love going back and watching Thanksgiving and Christmas episodes of my favorite tv shows. Seinfeld, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, How I Met Your Mother, Smallville, Doctor Who, the Star Wars Holiday Special, and of course, Friends.
Though Ross Geller has a somewhat bad reputation on the internet, David Schwimmer gave me some of the biggest laughs throughout the series. PIVOT, “We were on a break!”, insisting he is fine while drinking all the margaritas, and, of course, “MY SANDWICH?!” Ross’s sandwich is the inspiration for this very recipe.
The kitchen towel in these pictures is currently sold out, but you can get something similar here! A perfect gift for any Friends fan.
What is the Moist Maker?
The Moist-Maker Sandwich is a Thanksgiving sandwich, traditionally made the day after Thanksgiving and the weekend that follows, featuring any Thanksgiving leftovers from slices of turkey to mashed potatoes. What changes it from a mere leftover turkey sandwich to something special is a final slice of gravy-soaked bread in the middle.
What do I need to make this Thanksgiving leftover sandwich?
Any Thanksgiving leftovers! The only necessary component in the gravy. This is what I used:
- Sourdough bread.
- Cranberry sauce.
- Mayonnaise spread.
- Romaine lettuce.
This all was more than enough for me, but you can add anything you want from Thanksgiving dinner!
How to assemble the sandwich
Lay out a slice of bread. Spread with mayonnaise (if using), then a layer of cranberry sauce. Then put down a piece of lettuce, then half the turkey, then half the stuffing.
Take another slice of bread, dip it in the leftover gravy. Place this moist maker on top of the stuffing.
Add the remaining turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce. Place the final slice of bread on top, and get to guarding your sandwich from break room bandits!
Regarding break room bandits
If you need help warding off sandwich stealers, try leaving the following note:
Ross Gellar’s lunch – Ross Gellar’s lunch, who?
Ross Gellar’s lunch, PLEASE DON’T TAKE ME, OKAY?!”
- 3 slices bread
- Mayonnaise (optional)
- 2 pieces romaine lettuce
- Leftover gravy.
- Leftover turkey (or deli turkey)
- Leftover stuffing
- Leftover cranberry sauce
- Lay out a slice of bread. If using mayonnaise, spread on top, then spread on some cranberry sauce.
- Layer turkey on top of cranberry sauce. If using deli turkey, use 2-3 slices. Take about 1-2 tbsp stuffing and layer that on top of the turkey.
- Take another slice of bread and quickly dip in leftover gravy. Turn to coat both side, but do not leave it in the gravy more than a second. This creates the "moist maker."
- Layer the Moist Maker slice on top of the stuffing.
- Add remaining turkey on top of the Moist Maker slice. Add remaining stuffing, and then spread remaining cranberry sauce on top. Layer with final slice of bread.
- The sandwich will be very large. Cut into small pieces for best mess control, or hold together with a toothpick.