Whether you’re hosting a casual family dinner or having friends over for a potluck, this Cornbread Cowboy Casserole is a crowd-pleaser that will leave everyone wanting more. Plus, it’s incredibly easy to make, so you can spend less time in the kitchen and more time enjoying a delicious feast with your loved ones.
This Tex-Mex delight is a perfect blend of Southern comfort and Southwestern spice, guaranteed to satisfy. Imagine a golden cornbread crust, baked to perfection, generously smothered with layers of savory ground beef, vibrant veggies, zesty spices, and gooey melted cheese. But in the end, it’s all about that Southwestern twist of spicy deliciousness.
What do I need to get started?
This Cornbread Cowboy Casserole only needs a few simple ingredients to get started:
- Ground beef.
- Cream style corn.
- Frozen corn.
- Taco seasoning.
- Shredded cheddar cheese.
- Jiffy cornbread mix.
How to make Cornbread Cowboy Casserole
Start by preheating your oven and greasing the dish.
In a large skillet, cook the ground beef until brown and drain any excess grease.
Add both the corn styles, Rotel, and taco seasoning to the ground beef and mix together. Cook for another 5 minutes.
Spread the ground beef mixture into the casserole dish and cover with half of the shredded cheese.
In a separate bowl, prepare the Jiffy Cornbread mixture with the milk and eggs and mix until smooth. Spread over the top of the ground beef mixture.
Bake in the oven until the cornbread is baked through. Remove from the oven and add remaining cheese, then cook for another 5 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
Allow a few minutes to cool and then serve and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! Add more of any veggie or remove some according to your tastes. If you like heat, add some sliced jalapeños to the ground beef mixture.
The level of spiciness in Cowboy Cornbread Casserole can be adjusted to your preference. If you enjoy heat, you can add extra spices like chili powder or cayenne pepper. Alternatively, you can reduce or omit the spicy elements if you prefer a milder flavor. The recipe as written is not spicy.
Yes, Cowboy Cornbread Casserole can be prepared in advance. You can assemble the casserole ahead of time and refrigerate it until you’re ready to bake it. Just make sure to adjust the baking time accordingly if the casserole is cold from the fridge.
Cowboy Cornbread Casserole can be enjoyed on its own as a complete meal. However, if you’d like to complement it further, you can pair it with a fresh side salad or serve it alongside some tangy coleslaw for a well-rounded and satisfying meal.
Need more dinner options? Try out these recipes:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (14.75oz) can cream style corn
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (10oz) can Rotel
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 box (8.5oz) Jiffy Cornbread Mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef over medium heat until browned. Drain any excess grease.
- Add the cream-style corn, frozen corn, diced tomatoes and green chilies (Rotel), and taco seasoning to the skillet with the ground beef. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes until well combined and heated through. Remove from heat.
- Spread the ground beef mixture evenly in the greased baking dish. Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese over the top.
- In a separate bowl, prepare the Jiffy cornbread mix by combining it with the eggs and milk. Stir until just combined.
- Pour the cornbread batter over the ground beef mixture in the baking dish, spreading it out evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the cornbread is golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese on top. Return to the oven for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Allow the casserole to cool for a few minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley or green onions, enjoy!
- This Mexican Cornbread Casserole is a versatile dish that can be customized to your taste. Feel free to add additional toppings such as sliced jalapenos, diced onions, or black olives.
- Serve the casserole with sour cream, salsa, or guacamole for extra flavor.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Simply reheat in the oven or microwave before enjoying.
- To make this recipe spicy, add a pinch of cayenne pepper or a few dashes of hot sauce to the ground beef mixture.
- I always buy a block of cheese and shred it myself rather than using the pre-shredded bag cheese. This makes the cheese more gooey and melty.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 362Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 126mgSodium 624mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 25g