These 7 Layer Peppermint Bars are crunchy, creamy, full of flavor, and beyond easy to make! The layers are all versatile enough to suit your own personal tastes. This is one treat that you will be baking (and enjoying) all season long!
I don’t know about anyone else, but I don’t let the time of year dictate what I eat – if I want a gingerbread cookie in April, I make one. I posted my Pumpkin Mousse a couple months early cause I just couldn’t resist, and now I’m coming at you with a traditional holiday recipe – 7 Layer Peppermint Bars.
(Also known as a Magic Cookie Bar – but this time with Andes Candies for a tasty white chocolate peppermint flavor.)
What are 7 Layer Bars?
7 Layers bars are exactly what they sound like – 7 layers of deliciousness, finished off with sweetened condensed milk over the top. You will also see them called Magic Bars or Hello Dolly Bars!
What do I need to get started?
- A large 9×13 pan.
- Graham Cracker crumbs. You can also use any cookie or cracker of your preference, such as Nilla Wafers or even Oreos for a chocolately touch!
- Melted Butter – to mix with the crumbs and make a graham cracker crust.
- White Chocolate Chips.
- Chocolate Chips. I think Dark Chocolate is best in this instance, but your preference is great too, such as semi sweet chocolate chips.
- Peppermint Chips. I prefer to use Andes Peppermint Crunch Candies. You can use peppermint bark or crushed candy canes to sprinkle over the top as well.
- Coconut Flakes – sweetened or unsweetened.
- Pecan pieces. You can use walnuts as well.
- Sweetened condensed milk.
How to make 7 layer bars
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and then start with the crust. Mix together melted butter and graham cracker crumbs, then spread across a pan sprayed with non-stick spray, and lined with parchment paper.
Press the crust into the pan evenly – using the bottom of a glass or measuring cup will help with this.
Next layer is white chocolate – spread about a 1/2 cup evenly over the crust.
Then spread the same about of dark or semi-sweet chocolate.
The next layer is shredded coconut. Spread that over the chocolate.
Then layer on the pecan pieces evenly over the coconut.
Layer 6 is the peppermint candies. Spread that over the top of all of it.
Then pour an entire can of sweetened condensed milk over all of it.
Bake for about 30 minutes, then remove from the oven and let cool completely before serving!
Where can I find peppermint chips?
If you are making these outside the holiday season, the best place to buy is online. Use my link above.
If you are buying during November/December, they should be readily available at your local grocery store. If you really love them, buy in bulk during those months then stick in your freezer for the rest of the year!
Storage and Freezing
Store these at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
You can also freeze these – let them come to room temperature, then cut into squares and freeze in freezer-safe bags. To thaw, place them in the fridge overnight and then enjoy them all over again.
Tips and Tricks
- Switch up the ingredients. If you have someone who doesn’t care for nuts, replace with pretzels. The coconut can be taken out completely, or you could even replace it with mini marshmallows!
- Let the bars cool completely before cutting them. If they are at all hot, the sweetened condensed milk will still be runny. It needs time to set up.
- Take out the dark chocolate and coconut if you just want a white chocolate peppermint bar!
- 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes, sweetened or unsweetened
- 1 cup Andes Peppermint Candies
- 1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350, and spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray and line with parchment paper.
- Blend graham crackers in a blender or food processor until you have about 1 1/2 cups finely ground crumbs. Add melted butter and combine until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Press the graham cracker mixture into the pan evenly, using the bottom of a glass or measuring cup.
- Sprinkle the chocolate and white chocolate chips evenly over the crust.
- Spread the coconut flakes evenly over the chocolate chips.
- Spread the pecan pieces evenly over the coconut flakes.
- Spread the crushed peppermint pieces over the pecans.
- Pour entire can of sweetened condensed milk over all of it.
- Place the pan in the middle rack of the oven, and bake for 28-34 minutes.
- Remove pan from the oven and let cool completely before cutting into the bars.
- Serve at room temperature and enjoy!