These Brown Butter Pecan Rice Krispie Treats are thick and flavorful bars are full of pecans, butter, and marshmallows and perfect for an after-school snack or late-night treat.
Brown butter Rice Krispie treats are buttery, marshmallowy, bursting with flavor, and take 5 minutes to prepare. You don’t even need to turn on your oven! Perfect for sweet cravings on a hot summer afternoon.
This recipe starts out the same as the classic Rice Krispie treat, by melting the butter in a large pot. After the butter is fully melted, heat and stir until brown flecks appear in your butter. Brown butter over medium-low heat until you are satisfied with the color and the nutty aroma.
Next come the jet-puffed marshmallows. Add those into the browned butter and stir until the marshmallows are melted and everything is combined.
After the marshmallows are fully melted and incorporated with the butter, add in your rice cereal, chopped pecans, and mini marshmallows. When the mixture all comes together in one glob, transfer to your prepared pan.
Take a spatula and press the mixture until they are totally flat on the top. It is very difficult to change the shape of these after they are no longer hot, so get the brown butter Rice Krispie treats exactly how you want them while they’re still warm and moldable.
Top with more pecans while the bars are still hot, so they stick to the melty marshmallows. Leave in the baking pan for at least 30 minutes to set.
When you return to your baking dish, you should find ready-to-eat golden brown Rice Krispie treats, full of nutty browned butter flavor and delicious pecans. Cut into squares and serve at room temperature.
Tips for Brown Butter Pecans
- Thoroughly prepare your pan with cooking spray and butter. These bars are very sticky when hot and will stick to the pan.
- Have all ingredients measured and ready to go before turning on the stove. Rice Krispie treats move very quickly, and if you’re not prepared with each ingredient then it could lead to mistakes.
- Let cool completely – these bars are very delicious and tempting, but they are best eaten at room temperature.
- Do not skimp on the mini marshmallows – they are not as melted as the jet-puffed marshmallows, so it’s a nice gooey surprise of marshmallow in every bite.
- For a more thorough explanation of browned butter, check out this post from one of my favorite baking blogs.
- Before flattening your mixture into a prepared pan, spray a spatula with non-stick spray to get a smooth top.
- 6 cups rice cereal
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 1 10.5 oz bag jet-puffed marshmallows
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 9-12 whole pecans
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan or dutch oven and burn until brown specks appear and there is a nutty fragrance.
- Add jet-puffed marshmallows into the sauce pan and melt with the butter.
- Add in rice cereal treats, pecans, and mini marshmallows, and fold together to form one mixture.
- Transfer the mixture into a prepared pan, and flatten using a spatula covered in cooking spray.
- Take whole pecans and place onto the treats while they are still sticky.
- Set for at least thirty minutes and serve at room temperature.
- Drizzle with salted caramel if desired.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g