Smoreo Cookies take all the elements of a delicious Smores Cookie – graham crackers, gooey marshmallows, and chocolate – and add an entire Oreo to make for the ultimate fireside treat!
The marriage of S’mores and Chocolate Chip Cookies is one of the greatest cookie inventions. I’ve tried variations of the S’mores Cookie over the years, and the best thing I ever did was take my very best recipe and add an entire Oreo! These Smoreo Cookies are S’mores, Oreos, and cookies all together.
I love experimenting with cookie flavors – my Chocolate Peanut Butter & Caramel Cookies are one of the most popular recipes on my blog, and one of my favorites are the Caramel Coffee Chocolate Chip Cookie. These Smoreo Cookies are a traditional chocolate chip with graham crackers, toasted marshmallow, and an entire Oreo in the middle.
Try my S’mores Cupcake for another delicious S’mores treat!
What do I need to get started?
- All purpose flour.
- Baking soda and corn starch – both of these are important to keep the cookies nice and thick!
- Salt. Don’t leave it out – salt enhances sweet treats.
- Salted butter, melted. Melted butter makes for an even chewier cookies and I always used salted to cut a bit of the sweetness.
- Brown sugar and granulated sugar. I always use a bit more brown sugar just to get that cookies extra soft and chewy.
- Vanilla extract, to enhance the flavor. I love to use Watkins.
- Chocolate chips.
- Graham crackers. We will crumble these into large pieces, so don’t use graham cracker crumbs.
- Marshmallows. I used large Jet-Puffed marshmallows.
How to make Smores Cookies with Oreo
Start by making the cookie dough. Mix together the dry ingredients – flour, corn starch, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
Melt the butter and place in a large bowl. Mix the butter and sugars until fully combined. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well.
Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and slowly fold together using a rubber spatula. When the flour is nearly incorporated, add the chocolate chips and crumble the graham cracker sheets over the bowl. Mix until everything is evenly distributed and the graham cracker pieces are all bite sized.
Let the dough chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
Once the dough is chilled, roll into balls by taking one piece of dough, flattening it in your hand, and placing a whole Oreo on top. Cover the Oreo with another piece of dough and roll it all together into a dough ball.
Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven after 10 minutes and place a halved marshmallow on top, sticky side down. Broil for 1-2 minutes, or until the marshmallow is toasted.
Allow to cool on a wire rack.
Storage and Freezing
These cookies should be stored at room temperature for 2-3 days in an airtight container or bag. I do not recommend placing them in the fridge, because they will lose their chewiness.
These cookies should not be frozen – the toasted marshmallow would not hold up well.
What can I substitute for graham crackers in Smoreo Cookies?
You can use anything you like or leave them out completely! I recommend trying pretzels, to make these cookies extra tasty.
Smoreo Cookie Tips and Tricks
- Chilling the cookie dough will help prevent the spread of the cookies, keeping them nice and thick.
- Since this recipe uses melted butter, an electric mixer is not necessary.
- I always use salted butter in my baking because of the extra depth of flavor. You may use unsalted butter without changing any other ingredients.
- I tried mixing mini marshmallows in my first batch of these, and they caused a weird spread and just melted into the cookie. I recommend melting on top for best marshmallow results.
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup salted butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 2 sheets of graham cracker
- 12 Oreo cookies
- 6 marshmallows, cut in half
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, corn starch, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the melted butter and sugars until very well combined.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix again.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Fold together slowly.
- Once flour is almost all the way incorporated, add the chocolate chips and break apart graham crackers into the bowl. Fold together until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Place in the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- After 2 hours, preheat oven to 350.
- Take 1 tbsp of cookie dough and flatten it in your hand. Top with a whole Oreo cookie. Take another tbsp of cookie dough and cover the Oreo, pinching the sides together and rolling into a flattened ball. Do this until all cookie dough is used - should make about 12 cookies.
- Place on baking sheet leaving a lot of room for spread. Bake for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, the cookies should look slightly underbaked. Place a cut marshmallow on top of each cookie, sticky side down. Place under the broiler until marshmallow is toasted.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving Calories 335Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 46mgSodium 416mgCarbohydrates 49gFiber 1gSugar 26gProtein 4g