These Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan Meatballs are stuffed with mozzarella balls, topped with marinara sauce and melted gooey shredded mozzarella cheese, and made crispy in the air fryer!
I love chicken parmesan. Anytime I’m asked about my favorite food, I usually panic before settling on either pizza, chocolate chip cookies, or chicken parm subs. Something about the juicy chicken, crispy breading, rich tomato sauce, and melty mozzarella is just the perfect combination that I can never turn down – so I turned it into meatballs.
What do I need to make Chicken Parm Meatballs?
- Ground chicken.
- Onion and garlic.
- Breadcrumbs – both Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, and panko bread crumbs.
- Grated parmesan cheese.
- Salt and pepper.
- Italian Seasoning.
- Eggs – both in the meatballs, and for breading.
- Olive oil or cooking spray. I always prefer olive oil.
- Shredded Mozzarella cheese.
- Marinara sauce – you can use your favorite store-bought, or make your own. Either way, you’ll need about 3-4 cups.
- An air fryer – if you do not have one and still want to make the meatballs, you can do this on a lined baking sheet in the oven. The meatballs will just be a little less crispy.
How to make Chicken Parmesan Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs in the air fryer
Take your ground chicken, chopped onions, minced garlic, grated parmesan, seasoned breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and oregano, and mix together in a large bowl until just combined.
Scoop out a ball of the chicken mixture using an ice cream scoop, and then stuff a mozzarella ball in the center. Roll into a ball, and repeat until all chicken is rolled into balls.
Then we will bread the meatballs. Roll in flour, roll in egg, then roll in the panko breadcrumbs. Repeat until all of your meatballs are breaded.
Preheat your air-fryer to 350 and very generously spray the basket with oil or cooking spray. Cook your chicken meatballs in a single layer, without overcrowding the basket. I need to do this in 3 rounds.
Once all your meatballs have been air fried, place them in a large dish, cover with marinara sauce, and then cover with mozzarella cheese. Bake in a preheated oven to 350 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted with nice brown spots.
What to serve with Chicken Parmesan Meatballs?
These are filling all on their own, but if you wanna go the classic route, make some spaghetti and serve with meatballs on top!
Storage and Make Ahead
These will hold for 2-3 days in an airtight container. I recommend making them the day-of if you plan to serve, so they stay extra crispy from the air fryer!
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- About 25 small mozzarella balls
- 1/2 cup flour (for breading - use more as needed)
- 2 eggs (for breading - use more as needed)
- 1/2 cup panko (for breading - use more as needed)
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 32oz jar marinara sauce, or 3-4 cups of homemade sauce
- 1-2 tbsp chopped basil, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Take ground chicken, egg, chopped onion, minced garlic, grated parmesan, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and italian seasoning, and mix together in a large bowl until everything is combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop a ball of the chicken mixture, then stuff a mozzarella ball inside of it. Close the chicken mixture around the mozzarella, and roll into a ball. Repeat until all chicken is rolled into balls.
- Take a meatball and roll in flour, then roll in egg, then roll in panko. Repeat until all meatballs are breaded.
- Preheat the air-fryer to 350. Generously spray the basket with oil, and place meatballs in the basket in a single layer without over-crowding. You will likely need to do this in batches. Air fry for about 7 minutes - the meatballs should be golden brown.
- After all meatballs are air-fried, arrange them in a large baking dish. Top with marinara sauce, then cover with shredded mozzarella. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Top with chopped basil, and serve immediately.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 4 meatballs
Amount Per Serving Calories 1336Total Fat 69gSaturated Fat 29gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 32gCholesterol 397mgSodium 5452mgCarbohydrates 87gFiber 15gSugar 39gProtein 92g